Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our greatest strengths are our greatest weaknesses

A sentence that holds so many truths for all of us. Mine quite dismal, it makes me cringe even thinking about it, the way I was as a child and in some ways a little now as an adolescent. Everyone, my mother, teachers and friends, always put forth that one of my greatest strengths was that I was always friendly, compassionate, loving, pleasant, helpful, kind and the list goes on (that’s probably why I’m studying Public Relations).

What bullocks. What was one of my greatest strengths, turned out to be one of my greatest weaknesses. I recall an incident in 6th grade, where I was one of the only students to have done my English homework, being the nice person that I am I let the other students copy my homework so that they wouldn’t get in trouble. Low and behold someone lost my homework and I got to write line. Nice girls finish last I tell you.

As much as people had a liking for me, they were quick to use me as a doormat because I was such a ‘nice’ person. I pretty much became fed up with being the nice girl and decided to grow a backbone. Every now and then I let my ‘niceness’ shine through, but only just enough so that people would like me but not walk all over me.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand that particular life experience! And you've done well because I don't consider you to be a doormat. I think there are negative and positive aspects to every part of a person's personality. You just need to let the positive override the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you should lure them to belive you a doormat then bite them in the behind when they're not looking.

    ReplyDelete