Monday, September 7, 2009

Personal Autonomy - How far does it extend?

Not very far! For the reason that, I have not the slightest inclination as to what ‘personal autonomy’ actually means. This calls for some serial googling...

According to Medical.Webends.com ‘personal autonomy’ can be defined as free will or self-determination. (So much for my make shift meaning – personal=mine auto=car no= correction my=still mine = my car???)

Free will and self-determination how far does it extend? I guess we all like to believe that we have some form of free will, but the life that we lead doesn’t really allow for that. We are always be governed by some rule or regulations or person who enforcers the rules or regulations. Parents, the government, schools, friends, religion, the media, social norms all act, as inhibitors of free will.

I’m not sure if I don’t like having limited freedom. Things sometimes can blind one, where other people can see it for what it is. Ever heard the saying mother know best. She doesn’t try to deliberately hold you hostage and not give you freedom, but it because she really knows best. And besides, I like sometimes having someone else make the decisions for me, maybe its just because I’m really indecisive.

No comments:

Post a Comment