Monday, November 2, 2009

"Rock journalism is people who can’t write interviewing people who can’t talk for people who can’t read” (Frank Zappa)

Rock journalism is people who can’t write interviewing people who can’t talk for people who can’t read? Say what?

The journalist, the artist and the fans. A critique of some sort. Perhaps? I’m not quite sure if I understand the statement from Frank Zappa but I guess what his trying to point out is, that journalist that cover music and popular culture as their beat are in essence not very talented at what they do. The muso’s that they interview particularly those head banging rockers all zooped up on narcotics and alcohol with their slurring words hence the fact that they can’t talk. And their fans – it might be considered stereotyping but anyone who listens to rock is quintessentially uneducated. That’s my literal take on the statement. Still not quite sure what he means.

On the flip side when I think of rock journalism one thing comes to mind. The magazine Rolling Stone devoted to music, culture and politics. What and epic magazine, anybody who is somebody has graced the cover of this magazines. Makes me wonder how come I haven’t made it to the cover yet. Just my random thoughts just as random as this silly statement of Frank Zappa.

No comments:

Post a Comment